Jidhu Jose Photography

Blogger Interview # 43: Shanda Oakley




1.  Can you tell us a little about yourself and your blog?
I am from the United States but grew up in Africa. Most of my adult life has been spent living in both Africa and Central America. .  The goal of my blog is to inspire others to live lives of serving God and serving the community they live in.  My blog definitely has an international flair to it as I recall past experiences that left an impact on me.  I love photography and hope to get more and more of my photos online as well.



2. Are you a full time blogger? How did you get into blogging and why?I am not a full time blogger, but at times put many hours a day into it.  I began blogging around November as a way of remembering and sharing my stories.  It started off being more of an online journal but now, with receiving on average 500-600 hits a day, I have become addicted to telling stories!



3. If someone was interested in blogging, what would be a few things you would suggest?
First of all, find your nitch.  Your readers need to know what you are about.  Be patient.  If you want to increase your following, you have to spent hours commenting on other's blog and adding them as friends.  Only a fraction return the favor but it adds up with time.  Entering blog hops increase your following.


4.  How do you build a community around a blog and social media?
I have found bloggers with similar interests.  As we comment on each other's blogs, that conversation often goes to email and friendships form.  Just today I met in person a social media friend.  Again, it means putting time into your blog and community.


5.  What are your three favorite blogs to read? What makes those blogs special?

I love reading blogs of others who live internationally and hear of their lives and travels.  I have several of those I follow.  My other favorites are inspirational and photography blogs

6. Which one plugin would you suggest all bloggers to have ?

Since I am on blogger, google connect is the main plugin I use.  I like it because it is so easy to keep track of your followers.



Post a Comment

3 Comments