Jidhu Jose Photography

Blogger Interview # 59 : Grace Forde




--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you tell us a little about yourself and your blog?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 I am Scottish by birth, but my family emigrated to Central Africa when I was four years old, we lived firstly in Harare (or Rhodesia as it was known then) before moving up to Zambia on the Copperbelt where my father worked on the copper mines. I'm sure anyone who has spent time in Africa will agree that it is a magical place and growing up there was fantastic. However things change, they certainly have in Africa and not for the better unfortunately.  When I got married, we left to set up home in England where we stayed for a year before getting itchy feet again and as my husband's brother was in Perth and loving it, we decided to come and have a look for ourselves, best move ever as here we still are many,many years and two children later! We've done a lot of traveling, been to exotic places, but it really is always a joy to arrive home in Perth. My son and his soon to be wife have lived in Sydney for the past five years and love the faster pace of life over there, my daughter still lives at home and I love having her here....!

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you a full time blogger? How did you get into blogging and why?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

The idea for my blog came about as a result of checking out other blogs on the CDP site and thoroughly enjoying reading and seeing images from all over the world.  Photography has been a passion for quite a while so I thought it might be a way to show others the fantastic place that Perth is by using words and images. I'm not a 'full time' blogger but admit that it does take up a few hours every day and of course I'm always on the prowl for 'that special' image.....!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone was interested in blogging, what would be a few things you would suggest?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only advice I would give someone who is thinking of starting a blog, is to believe in your theme, keep it simple and most of all enjoy it because if you don't it will soon become more of a 'chore' than a passion.....!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you build a community around a blog and social media?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

I think you build the 'community spirit' when you blog by being genuinely interested in the blogs you follow, participating by comments and positive feedback. I've made so many 'blog friendships' in the short time I've been doing PDP  and I really look forward to and value their input, that's what it's all about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
What are your three favorite blogs to read? What makes those blogs special?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I'm sorry but this next question is definitely impossible to answer, there are some blogs that I enjoy because the images are spectacular and it's such a pleasure to be able to see them, and there are others where the words mean such a lot that the image becomes secondary. All of the blogs I follow are really special to me in many different ways.....!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Which one plugin would you suggest all bloggers to have?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 


For me the most important plug in, if it's the same thing as a gadget.. is the google translator, because a lot of the blogs that I follow are in languages that I don't understand, and I'm really interested to read as well as see images of destinations that I might never get to and hopefully there are people out there interested in what I have to say.....!
----------------------------- 


Post a Comment

7 Comments

  1. Cool. I'll have to visit her blog since I also grew up in Africa and lived in Zimbabwe!
    I am hosting a Best of 2011 Blog hop and would love you to come link up one of your best posts of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, Grace! Learned more about you here than I EVER did from your blog ...

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up in Africa must have made for an interesting childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the interview Grace. I grew up in Mozambique and South Africa. The African bug always stays with you. I find so many similarities between Perth and the places I grew up in - climate, vegetation, lifestyle...that´s why I also love Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear more about you Grace- a very good blog too!

    Chrissy at Manchester: a photo a day at Mancunian Wave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful interview Grace! It's always nice to know more about the person behind the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. am always fascinated by Africa and as I see it, Nature is at its best there. Am a wild guy so .... :)) Btw, I have folks living in Harare :))

    ReplyDelete